Sweet victory

Millard West Varsity Tennis picks up first dual win over Millard North in the school’s 25-year history

Rami Hanash making a play for the Millard West varsity tennis team. He has been a major key for Millard Wests wins all year.

photo courtesy of Prowler Yearbook

Rami Hanash making a play for the Millard West varsity tennis team. He has been a major key for Millard West’s wins all year.

Carson Fox, Staff Reporter

After 25 years, the Wildcats defeated the Mustangs, something the varsity team has never been able to do. That all changed on Wednesday, September 11th, 2019. That’s a date to mark in the history books. Millard West had finally grabbed its first dual win over Millard North in school history. West has had a normal season so far, placing 5th at a tournament in Lincoln and 2nd place at the Koch Invitational. 

It took a lot of heart for the Wildcats to pull this win out. It was a down to the wire 5-4 win for Millard West. They took one doubles match and four singles. It was all about clutch play down the stretch that would seal the Wildcats’ significant win.

This is a momentous win for the Wildcats, and a much-needed one after falling to Westside 5-4 a week prior. It was one of the best duals of the tennis season, coming down to the very end. Both teams scratching for whatever they could get over their opponent. The first victory of the meet came from junior Tanner Klahn and sophomore Fletcher Kuper in a tight doubles match. 

Sophomore Justin Ye dominated his way through West’s first singles victory of the day, and senior Michael Freiburger would add a 3rd win to the Wildcat’s resume. Freiburger had to fight through a longer match, winning through patience and the mental game. 

A surprising person to not see from was junior Rami Hanash, who couldn’t pick up a win after going 4-0 at the tournament in Lincoln. Although being stellar most of the year for Millard West, tonight was just not Hanash’s night.

“It was great, we finally won against them for the first time,” Hanash said. “The team couldn’t be more thrilled after the game.”

After destroying in doubles, Klahn would dominate in a singles match for West’s fourth singles victory. His serves were absolutely unstoppable, and he dominated the up-front net game. West would drop four matches though, leaving the dual tied at 4-4. Whoever would win the final match, would win the dual for their team. 

It all came down to senior Jacob Anderson. Anderson has been great for West, picking up many wins on the season. This was the final match for West, and he could be the man to win the dual for west. The match was tied at 4-4, and it was a nail-biter to remember. Anderson would score 3 straight, giving the win to the Wildcats. 

Anderson was the hero alright, and Millard West got their sweet, and historic, victory over the Mustangs.