The Battle of Q Street

Millard West vs Millard South Preview

Michelle Zhang

Wildcats line up after halftime watching the plays unravel in front of them.

Noah Walls, Staff Reporter

This week the 2nd ranked Millard South Patriots host the 3rd ranked Millard West Wildcats in arguably the most hyped up Q Street Classic of the decade. Both teams are undefeated coming into this looking to become 4-0 on the season. 

The Patriots offense has scored a total of 138 points on the season. A powerful part of their offense is senior running back Isaiah Harris with 39 carries on the season accumulating 468 rushing yards and nine touchdowns. His powerful performances help the patriots take over their opponent. 

The Patriots also have a lot of talent on the other side of the ball as well. Their defense has only allowed 17 total points on the season and averaging 53 tackles a game. Senior Kohl Herbolsheimer, a University of Wyoming commit, is an explosive lineman who will look to tear up the offensive line to contribute to the defense. Herbolsheimer has eight tackles on the season, four solo tackles and four assisted tackles. The patriots defense is going to have to try to stop Millard West’s run game and keep the score low for the Wildcats.

On the offensive side of the ball for the Wildcats, senior quarterback Tristen Gomes must have a huge passing game to win. His targets will be senior Dalys Beanum and senior Kaedyn Odermann. Odermann, a University of Harvard commit, has two touchdown receptions on the season and has also been a huge part of the Wildcat offense. Beanum, a South Dakota State University commit, also has one touchdown reception on the season. Another powerful part of the offense is the run game led by senior Ethan Valencia, Millard West’s leading rusher with over 400 yards on the season. The Wildcats are looking to break down the defense with their variety of options on offense.

The Wildcats defense is looking to stop the run game and hold the Patriots to short yardage. In the first three games of the season, the defense has allowed only 20 points from their opponents. Senior linebacker Nathan Pesek has had a huge season with multiple tackles and will be an important factor on Friday’s game. If the defensive line and linebackers limit the run game, the defensive backs will be able to lock down the wide receivers and not allow huge gains through the air.

Overall, The Battle of Q Street is going to be a great matchup this year. Both teams have explosive offenses and big name players, I believe this game will come down to the energetic defenses. 

The game begins at 7:00 at Buell Stadium, the Millard West supporters will be asked to sit on the east side of the stadium. The theme for the Wildcat student section is a “Neon Out” where fans will wear bright colors in the crowd.