Changing The World Through Dance

Sophomore helps the community through dance

photo vis. Instagram

Sophomore Paige Seastedt participated in a PSA to promote inclusion. The premise was that no one should have to eat their lunch alone.

Elizabeth Hahn, Staff Reporter

Dancing can be a very demanding sport. It takes flexibility, balance, and grace. Not just anyone can be talented at dancing, but for sophomore Paige Seastedt, it comes easy. Seastedt has been dancing for nine years at the competitive level. This has opened up many opportunities for her. One of the biggest being Mini Muse. 

Mini Muse is a very prestigious, five day dance program that takes place in Los Angeles. through a non-profit called MusEffect. Dancers who want to be involved have to send in an audition tape to be a part of it. Seastedt sent in her tape back in 2017, hoping for the opportunity to be chosen. Since then, she has been a part of the Mini Muse program for the last three years, being invited back for two summers. This program is known for its eye opening PSA’s.

Mini Muse works to push inspirational messages through dance.

“We always do some sort of community service project, like this year we made duffle bags for foster care,” Seastedt said. “Throughout the week we learn choreography for a dance PSA that we will then shoot on the last day. Each PSA is based around a social topic in today’s world such as bullying, inclusion, climate change, equality etc.”

Along with the highly praised PSA’s, Mini Muse also allows Seastedt to take part in master classes for different styles of dance and photo shoots. She has the opportunity to meet dancers from all over the country. All of the dancers go to the MusEffect studio each year and share their love of dance.

Friends and family around Seastedt think that Mini Muse has been an incredible experience for her.

“I loved Paige getting to be part of Mini Muse because she got to be with similar dancers from all over,” Seastedt’s mom, Connie Seastedt said. “It was also cool to her to get to experience the different areas they would go throughout Los Angeles. I feel like both times she has gone, she has come home a stronger dancer.”

Seastedt has met new people through MusEffect, which makes for a great time each summer that she goes.

On top of making new friends through this program, Seastedt has been able to go to Mini Muse with one of her Omaha friends, as well. Junior Vivian Gaines has also been involved in the MusEffect program. She has been at Seastedt’s side through each summer at MusEffect.

Gaines has also seen this program help Seastedt grow into an even better dancer.

“After every experience with the MusEffect company, I feel like everyone always comes out so inspired and ready to take on whatever life brings them,” Gaines said. “I always remember seeing this in Paige, especially. I think that Mini Muse is one of the best ways for dancers to get more in touch with their bodies and movement, and Paige is a great example of that!”

The support from her friends and family allows her to take part in this program year after year, and they love watching her dancing career grow in every form that it comes. This is including Seastedt’s involvement in the Millard West Dance Team. She decided to try out at the beginning of last year and was able to make it on the Varsity team as a Freshman. 

Both Millard West Dance Team and Mini Muse take up a lot of time, but it hasn’t been a problem balancing the two. 

“Although I have dance team in the summer, the weeks I have off are the weeks I went to L.A for Mini Muse,” Seastedt said. “Last year, though, I had to go down to L.A in November to shoot a PSA which caused me to miss a few practices, but I was able to come back and jump right back in.” 

Being able to take part in Mini Muse has given Seastedt so many memories. From rooming with Gaines to spending time in LA to the PSA’s and photo shoots, there has been a lot for her to take in and learn from. It has been an opportunity of a lifetime.

Although there are many memories to choose from, Seastedt is very fond of being able to take part in a PSA for Dancers Against Cancer.

Seastedt had the opportunity to work with many different kinds of dancers to make the Dancers Against Cancer PSA come to life.

“They asked Mini Muse to partner with them to make a fun, upbeat PSA with some of the cancer patients, and it was so amazing to meet all of them and get to know each of their personalities,” Seastedt said. “There were many special guests on set, as well, such as Dance Moms stars, Maddie and Kenzie Ziegler. They were so down to earth and wanted to get to know all of us! It was one of my favorite things I have ever done because of how eye opening and rewarding it was.”

It’s clear that Seastedt has really gained something from working with Mini Muse. She has met so many new people and been able to get her name out there through working with MusEffect. The Dancers Against Cancer PSA was featured in People Magazine and on Extra TV. These dancers aren’t doing this for nothing. The PSA’s are reaching a large audience and helping people all over. Seastedt is changing the world one dance at a time.