A Trip to Remember

Sophomore takes a trip to France to be reunited with an old friend

photo courtesy of Addison Smith

Sophomore Addison Smith, her younger sister and Cassy Milward pose in front of the Arc de Triomphe, on of the most famous monuments in Paris.

Annabelle Harshbarger, Staff Reporter

A 13 and a half hour plane ride, two layovers and going through customs was worth all the hassle and stress of traveling when sophomore Addison Smith stepped off the plane into Paris, France. She anxiously awaited to see the beautiful scenery, historical monuments and a friend from her past.  

Smith took the trip of a lifetime to Paris, France, this past summer. However, this trip was not only about visiting the iconic tourist attractions but about reconnecting with an old friend. While in eighth grade Smith hosted Cassy Milward, a foreign exchange student from France. While visiting, Smith lived with Cassy’s family and was fully immersed in the French culture. 

Cassy lived in America with Smith’s family during the 2017-18 school year. She attended Millard South High School as a senior and walked across the stage at graduation to receive a certificate of completion.

“At first it was kind of weird to be in a house with a family I didn’t know,” Cassy said. “But after a little bit I warmed up to it and had a really great family.”

After not seeing each other for over a year the girls were reunited. They then spent time together in Cassy’s hometown, Boutigny-Prouais, a small village outside of Paris. Cassy introduced Smith to her friends and family. She also showed them around her school. 

“It was great to see her again,” Smith said. “While Cassy lived with us we became really close. She was like my sister and it was hard to not see her for so long.”

After that, they went into the city. Smith spent two weeks in Paris exploring and spending time with Cassy and her family. They went to the Louvre Art Museum where many classic art pieces like the Mona Lisa are on display. They took a tour of the Seine River where along the way they saw all of the beautiful scenery and architecture  France has to offer.  

During her trip to Paris, Smith spent a lot of time with her mother and sister learning about french culture and seeing how they lived their day-to-day lives. Smith’s mom, Amy was very excited about the trip and to see Cassy again.

“I was most excited to see Cassy because we have missed her so much,” Amy Smith said. “She is such an important part of our family. It was amazing to see her everyday life and meet her parents and siblings.”

Bastille Day is a national French holiday to celebrate the French Revolution. On July 14th many celebrations are held, like parades, parties, and firework shows. Smith had the opportunity to see and be a part of this celebration.

“It was really cool to see,” Smith said. “We went to the Eiffel tower and saw a firework show and live music.”

While in Paris she got to experience lots of new things that she has never had the pleasure of trying in America, such as new foods. She ate escargot, a French delicacy made of snails and steak tartare, a dish made of raw beef served with egg yolk. 

For Smith, this was an experience of a lifetime and a trip she will never forget.