2019/20 Millard West Football preview

Millard West kicker Nasser Nabulsi practices his field goal kicking in practice.

Photo via: Hayden Cole

Hayden Cole, Staff Reporter

Football in high school is one of the most talked about sports in the country, and at Millard West, there is no exception. The Millard West Wildcats come into the 2019-20 season as the #2 ranked team in the state of Nebraska. In the 2018-19 season, the Wildcats finished off the season 9-3 with a heartbreaking defeat against Burke 35-28 in the state semifinals.

Millard West has unfinished business in the 2019-20 season. 

If the Wildcats want to add their 3rd State Championship trophy in school history, they will need the returning senior class to take their games to the next level and become leaders for the team. A key returning senior, starting quarterback Tristian Gomes, played a key role in the Wildcats run to the semifinals. Posting numbers like 1,359 passing yards, 53% completion percentage, and 14 Touchdown passes on only 7 interceptions. 

The Wildcats open the season with a rivalry match up against the Millard North Mustangs Friday, August 30th. After North, the Wildcats go on a three game streak against teams like Burke, Omaha North and Millard South. Each of those teams open up the year in the Top 10 in the preseason rankings. After a game with the 31st ranked Bryan Bears, they go on the road against the #4 ranked Grand Island Islanders. Then, the Cats end the year with Kearney, Lincoln East and Lincoln North Star. Unlike Burke, Omaha North, Millard South and Grand Island, none of these teams rank in the top 12 in the rankings. Millard West’s schedule is a favorable one. 

Head coach Kirk Peterson, is going into his 17th year at Millard West. He took over the football team in 2003 and has brought home one State Title and two State Runner Ups.

We’ve got a long way to go and that’s a good thing,” Peterson said. “The goal each year is to play better each week and not play your best game of the year game one.  We just talk about getting better with each rep, each practice, each week and let the season play out”. Three things need to occur in all three phases of the game – Good, Healthy, & Lucky.  We have to work everyday to be good. Every team has to have a little luck through the season. Probably most importantly, we have to stay healthy.”  

There are a lot of high hopes for the Wildcat Football team going into the season, but they will have to overcome the difficulties of having high expectations. If the Wildcats overcome those expectations, then Millard West could bring home another title.