The Cats Look to Defeat The Bulldogs

Millard West takes on Burke in the semi-finals on the NSAA State Football playoffs

Noah Walls, Staff Writer

This Friday night, Millard West matches up against Omaha Burke in the Semi-finals of the NSAA State Football Playoffs. The number one ranked opponent, Omaha Burke, is undefeated while collecting one of their wins in week two against our very own Wildcats. Both teams are coming into the matchup with confidence looking to advance to the State Championship.

Omaha Burke’s first-class offense is averaging over 400 plus yards per game and 41 points. Most of the yards coming from the powerful running back senior James Burks, who is averaging 150 rushing yards per game. Senior quarterback Tyler Chadwick has led the Bulldogs to an undefeated season, with his average of 171 passing yards per game. University of Nebraska commit, senior Chris Hickman also a big part of the offense at Burke, the Wildcat secondary has their eye on the 6’5 tight end.

Omaha Burke’s defense is one of the best in Class A, only averaging 13 points allowed per game. Key player on the Bulldogs defense is Senior Nick Henrich, accumulating a projected 11 tackles per game. The Wildcats will have to overcome the good Bulldog defense to advance to the State Championship.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Wildcats have been very efficient all year averaging 31 points per game. Junior quarterback Tristan Gomes has been a huge part of the team this year with 13 passing touchdowns and nine rushing. Gomes’ average of 112 passing yards per game sets up Wildcat receivers to do big things in important games like this week’s matchup.

Millard West Defense looking to stop the run game up front holding the Bulldogs to short yardage. The Wildcats have caused eight turnovers in their last three matchups. The defense looking to win the turnover battle and give the offense more opportunities with the ball.

Overall, both the Wildcats and Bulldogs will be looking to takeover the game and advance to the State Championship. The Wildcats and Bulldogs both have explosive offenses, but the defensive part of the game will be a big factor in this game.

The game begins at 7:00 at Burke Stadium, the game will also be broadcasted on The Nebraska High School Sports Network; https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/nsaa/gamf667666a78

A win tonight will advance the team to the State Championship to play the winner of Bellevue West vs. Grand Island and a chance at the first Wildcat football title in 10 years.