A Frozen gem in Omaha

Trying a taste of the new Mexican gelato parlor
Photo by Helados Locos
Helados Locos, an extension to “Javi’s Tacos” restaurant, sells a variety of different desserts, foods and beverages that advertise the taste of Mexican style cuisine here in Omaha.

Omaha’s ice cream-loving community has been introduced with the arrival of Helados Locos, a new ice cream parlor that opened up November of 2023. Helados Locos sells a variety of traditional, tasty Mexican gelato and other types of ice cream that suits your taste. Helados Locos has quickly become a beloved destination for those who have found it.

As you step into Helados Locos, you’re greeted by bright pink and orange colors decorated around the store. Seeing the fun, bright colors from the wall to what they sell is instantly pleasing to the eye. Playful accents and decorations are scattered throughout the space, making it a perfect environment for ice cream lovers. 

Helados Locos menu ranges from salty treats like nachos and tacos, to different kinds of sweets like shakes, gelato and fruit cups. All of the items are completely customizable, which is a huge plus for me and many others. 

For those craving a taste of the tropics, the “Mangonada” is mango sorbet with chamoy and fresh fruit, topped with tajin. I recommend this for those who like to try unique, bold flavors. Another item I recommend is the “Loco-style” ice cream. You pick two flavors of your choice of creamy, delicious ice cream and any sauce or “style” you want. Some of the style flavors included “Gansito” (a strawberry and chocolate drizzle), “Oreo” (oreos, hot fudge and chocolate sprinkles) and “Bombon” (rainbow sprinkles, marshmallow sauce, mini marshmallows, chocolate sauce, mini chocolate chips and graham crackers).

What sets Helado’s Locos apart is its commitment to quality and friendliness. The staff upo entrance was extremely nice and helpful. For someone who does not know much about Mexican style gelato, they helped me navigate the menu and emphasized the customization of the ice cream. By doing so it made me feel comfortable and gave a better overall experience.

Beyond its delectable offerings, Helados Locos has quickly become a 9/10 for me. I recommend Helados Locos for those wanting a new, fun experience with ice cream, with great portions and not having to spend too much on overpriced, just-alright ice cream.