Unreal or underperforming

Hozier’s highly anticipated album comes up short
Hozier attempts to show his deep delve into the underworld in this album cover

Hozier’s album “Unreal Unearth” marks a significant departure from the sound that brought him fame with “Take Me to Church.” His third studio release faces the challenge of living up to the impact of his breakthrough hit. 

Hozier takes the role of the sole lyricist for just two out of the album’s 16 tracks, namely “Butchered Tongue” and “Unknown / Nth,” which shine for their exceptional quality and emotional depth. “Butchered Tongue” channels intense anger, addressing Britain’s historical violence in Ireland, while “Unknown / Nth” maintains Hozier’s trademark dreamy and atmospheric style.

Unfortunately, the majority of the album, co-written with a dozen collaborators, falls short of these standout moments. Drawing inspiration from “Dante’s Inferno”, it explores themes like gluttony, lust, and wrath, often making references to heaven, angels and God. 

Regrettably, these references at times come across as shallow attempts at profundity and are occasionally replaced with more commonplace imagery.

Hozier describes the album’s sound as “eclectic,” but it can feel disjointed. Tracks like “Eat Your Young” and “Damage Gets Done” showcase various musical styles but lack a unifying thread. A low point is reached with “All Things End,” featuring “clichéd” lyrics set against smooth jazz and an oddly placed gospel choir.

The lyrics chosen by Hozier are odd and unconventional. A specific moment that stands out is the foreign language lyricism of “Bhfuilis soranna sorcha. Ach tagais ‘nós na hoíche. Trína chéile; Le chéile, claochlaithe. Bhfuilis soranna sorcha. Ach tagais ‘nós na hoíche. Is claochlú an ealaín. Is ealaín dubh í. Bhfuilis soranna sorcha. Ach tagais ‘nós na hoíchе. Trína chéile; Le chéile, claochlaithе. Bhfuilis soranna sorcha. Ach tagais ‘nós na hoíche. Is claochlú an ealaín. Is ealaín dubh í.” While this may mean something in its respective language it doesn’t resonate with the listener

While collaboration is a natural part of music-making, “Unreal Unearth” raises questions about when it becomes excessive. Hozier’s distinctive voice and artistic vision shine most brightly in “Butchered Tongue,” making him appear somewhat disconnected from the other tracks. This album seems to mirror a common narrative in the music industry, where a breakout smash hit can lead to a record deal that sometimes destroys an artist’s creative expression. “Unreal Unearth” appears to capture this decline in creativity.