Future serviceman

Senior plans to join the Marine Corps

Senior Peyton Overman stands at attention during the military fitness training. He has spent the past year preparing for enlistment both physically and mentally. “I’ve been working at General Store Company to help with my supplement knowledge and sales experience,” Overman said. “Hearing that Marine Corps boot camp is the hardest has really motivated me to go to the gym and make healthier lifestyle choices. I have been studying Marine Corps history and basic knowledge to help me at boot camp.”

Photo courtesy of Payton Overman

Annabelle Harshbarger, Online Editor

As the school year comes to an end, the seniors of Millard West are working to finalize their plans for after high school. While some seniors are busy preparing for dorm rooms and college courses, students like senior Payton Overman are preparing for boot camp and serving their country. 

Overman has chosen to enlist in the armed forces after graduation. He is not one to shy away from hard work and plans to join the Marine Corps and study combat engineering. Combat engineering will allow him to learn trades that will give him opportunities both in and out of service. Classes he took throughout high school had an influence on deciding to enlist. Classes like carpentry and other science and technology courses showed Overman that working hands-on was something he enjoyed and helped him choose combat engineering as a career path.

“I chose the Marines because of the standard they hold you to,” Overman said. “It will challenge me both physically and mentally in boot camp and throughout my career. I’ve always been a hands-on person and combat engineering is all hands on. It will also help me outside of the military because it will give me a lot of skills that transfer well in civilian jobs.” 

The opportunities and resources that will be made available to Overman during and after his service were an important factor in deciding his post high school plans. Enlisting in the military will open doors for Overman’s future education and career. The trade knowledge he learns in service will give him the skills he needs for a career. Overman also hopes to attend college after the time he spends in the Marine Corps. 

“Through enlistments, students train and attend specialized training in the military career, they are appointed,” counseling department head Amy Reoh said. “There are a wide range of jobs within each branch of the military: everything from medical, tactical to highly technical. Enlistments offer servicemen a path to future career options once out of the military and often to see and experience different parts of the world while serving.”

Overman worked with a recruiter, Ssgt Benjamin Jones, who let him know all of his options and opportunities available to him when he enlisted. Overman was grateful to Jones as he helped him navigate his post high school career. 

Overman looks forward to serving his country and furthering his education in the Marine Corps. He is proud of his decision to enlist and hopes to grow and learn while in service.