Off-season improvement

Three wrestlers club season

Courtesy of Amaya Mclauren

Freshman Amaya McLauren works to get behind her opponent during her second match.

Halle Opat, Photo Editor

On April 8, Millard West wrestlers traveled to Missouri for the Adidas National wrestling tournament. The team had nine wrestlers at the tournament and left with three wrestlers placing to earn Adidas nationals All-American status.

The Wildcats have a very young team with several new wrestlers, but many of them have taken up club wrestling during the off-season to improve.  First-year wrestler freshman Amaya McLauren has quickly improved, growing her skill greatly since October.

“I feel like I improved a lot,” McLauren said. “Even if I do still get pinned it’s not instantly I can hold out for two-three periods and wasn’t able to do that during the season. The major challenge I had was my shoulder that I had very recently injured.”

Mclauren wasn’t able to wrestle the first half of high school season but despite challenges ended up being one of three of the Millard West Lady Cat wrestlers to qualify for the state tournament, and is now having great success in her club season at the 215 weight class. Another Millard West wrestler to achieve All American status was sophomore Jimmy Koubsky 

“Millard West had nine wrestlers in the tournament,” Koubsky said. “This tournament was a lot different because we didn’t have to wear headgear and it went faster because we didn’t have the 45-minute rule.”

Kobusky ended the tournament in third place. Sophmore Imran Muran was also awarded All-American status and placed fourth in the 145-pound weight class. The tournament was hard competition with large brackets.

The coaches have seen great improvement in the team and the accomplishments they have achieved from their work on the mat both in-season and off-season.

“Each one has put in a tremendous amount of time in the weight room as well as in the wrestling room,” head Coach Scott Townsley said. “This was a tournament that drew 1700 wrestlers from 37 states. To win a match was tough but to place was quite the accomplishment. Without the clubs, wrestling in Nebraska would not be where it is today.  We are performing better at these national tournaments and it is because of the partnership between the high school coaches and club coaches.”

All-American status is achieved by placing in the Top 8 which means winning at least 3 matches. It means that they are one of the best wrestlers in your bracket and is a great achievement in national tournaments.

With such a young team these three wrestlers are stepping onto the mat and making a name for themselves to be known for the rest of their time on the mat at West.