Millard West comebacks in thrilling fashion to defeat Elkhorn

Three different players score for the Wildcats in the 3-2 win

The+Wildcats+defeat+the+Antlers+3-2+on+Sunday+to+add+another+win+to+their+regular+season.+

Millard West Hockey Twitter

The Wildcats defeat the Antlers 3-2 on Sunday to add another win to their regular season.

Hayden Cole, Staff Reporter

The Millard West Wildcats put their nine-game winning streak on the line as they faced the Elkhorn Antlers on Sunday, January 12th at Moylan Iceplex. 

Both of these teams have had great success this year as the Wildcats are 18-3-1 and the Antlers having a record of 13-5-3. They have faced each other two other times this year with Millard West taking one and the other being a tie. It looked to be a close matchup from the start.

Early on in the first period, senior Neil Emet was called for holding which turned into a penalty kill. Later on in the period, sophomore Kyle Sheldon was called for tripping so that sent him to the penalty box. In a very uneventful first period, the Antlers strike first with a score towards the end of the penalty time.The amount of defense so far has been amazing as the Antlers had the lead 1-0 at the end of the first period.

Other than the early score by Elkhorn, the second period wasn’t any different as no one could seem to get anything going. Finally Emert scores for the Wildcats with around four minutes left in the second period. Then about two minutes later the Antlers strike back and take the lead back with two left in the period 1-2. With half a minute left in the period, Sheldon ties the game up at two apiece for the Wildcats with a score. 

At the end of the second period, the score was tied 2-2. 

Early in the third period, Sheldon and junior Even Strength on Elkhorn are called for roughing minors. Two minutes later, Elkhorn was called for tripping and the Wildcats were in their first power play. It has been a defensive game so far as most of the third period has been some minor penalty calls. That was until sophomore Hunter Johnson cut the tie with a score to put the Cats up 3-2 late in the third period. Other than another tripping call on Elkhorn, the Wildcats hold on to the 3-2 lead and complete the comeback to defeat the Antlers.

With the win, that puts the Wildcat’s winning streak up to 10 straight and a record of 19-3-1 on the season.

“To win those many games in a row really boost our confidence and it feels really good,” senior Neil Emert said. 

It took a complete team effort to make the comeback.

“It was a great win and it took the whole team to complete the comeback, Elkhorn is a great team as the last time we faced them we tied, and to win in that fashion is great,” sophomore Hunter Johnson said.

The Wildcats are still on top of the standings and will put their 11 game win streak on the line Sunday January 19th against the Westside Warriors.