Wildcats dominate on Homecoming night

Wildcats remain undefeated while handing Bryan its fourth loss of the season

photo by Tenley Wright

Zach Coleman runs the ball during Thursday’s game against Bryan. The Wildcats outscored Bryan 74-6

Jonathan Willis, Striv Commentator

The 4-0 Millard West Wildcats took on the 0-4 Bryan Bears on Thursday night for the Homecoming game in front of a large crowd at Buell Stadium. The Wildcats have looked insanely good up to this point and continued to show it tonight. From the beginning of this year, they’ve had their eyes set on a state championship, and tonight has proven that they want this and they’re going to work hard to get it.

The first quarter was very rough for the Bryan Bears. The Wildcats scored 40 points early. They had a great return all the way to the 32 of the Bears to kick off the game, and then senior quarterback Tristan Gomes threw a touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Dalys Beanum. That was only about 20 seconds into the game. Then after a forced punt, Beanum returned the punt for a touchdown. On the next drive, with about 6 minutes left in the quarter, senior fullback Ethan Valencia ran for a 52 yard touchdown with great blocking for him. The defense still hadn’t allowed any points, and then, senior running back Dan Sullivan had an 18 yard rushing touchdown. Gomes then threw a touchdown pass to Sullivan on the next drive.  They scored another rushing touchdown by junior running back Zach Coleman and led the Bears 40-0 after the first quarter.

The second quarter began the backups playing. By this point, The Wildcats controlled this game and did not take the foot off the pedal for the rest of it. They took a long drive, and with 5:34 left to go in the half, sophomore fullback Chase Hultman ran for a one yard touchdown. The defense stood strong once again, and sophomore running back Caden Becker ran for a 16 yard touchdown. Wildcats 54 Bears 0 at the end of the first half.

In the third quarter, Hultman ran for a 25 yard touchdown and a 50 yard touchdown to put the Wildcats up 68-0. He finished the day with 117 yards and 3 touchdowns. He definitely showed why he should be given a chance to start in bigger games and I can’t wait to see more of him.

The 4th quarter moved very fast and the only scores happened in the last 2 minutes. Sophomore running back Nathan Pederson, who ran for 93 yards in the game, ran an 80 yard touchdown to put the Wildcats into the 70’s. The Bryan Bears would not go down without a fight though. On an exciting last play, sophomore quarterback Tobin Wingender threw an 11 yard pass to junior running back Tyler Moore to stop the shut out. It was a nice one hand catch. Even though they lost the game big, it was still nice for them to get that touchdown and not get completely shut out by the Wildcats.

The Wildcats controlled this game and we got to see a lot of exciting backup players play. This was a game for Millard West to flex their muscles. They really just controlled the line of scrimmage and pushed the Bears around. The Wildcats are playing great right now and it’ll be very exciting once we hit the playoffs. Next week the 5-0 Millard West Wildcats will take on the 4-1 Kearney Bearcats on Friday at Buell Stadium at 7 P.M.