Two Different Worlds

Michaela Grund, Staff Writer

The bell rings, echoing throughout the empty halls. A heartbeat later, hundreds of students weave in and out of classrooms, going about their daily business. However, among them, two students–sophomore Ethan Valencia and junior Madelyn Starmer–have no idea what to expect.

Both students spent more than half of their lives being home-schooled. When Valencia and Starmer first came to public school they stepped into a different world.

For Valencia, it started three years ago when he decided he wanted to attend a public school.

“The reason why was to meet new people and get into the sports that are offered here,” Valencia said.

At the start of eighth grade, Valencia began alternating between being home-schooled and attending public school. He currently attends Millard West for the first half of the day and then goes home to finish the rest of his schooling.

Starmer’s transition to public school began similarly, going back and forth during the day. She did not decide to attend public school until wanting to join the swim team.

Her schedule is unlike others. She wakes up to complete her homeschooling, and then goes to Millard West for Spanish second block. After Spanish, she goes straight to work, and then travels back to Millard West for swim practice.

“It’s tough sometimes to juggle my work schedule around school and it gets frustrating, but when something is important to you, then it’s worth the time and effort,” Starmer said.

On their first days, various emotions fueled their energy. Excited. Nervous. Happy. Right away immediate changes were made and their lives were flipped upside down.

In the beginning, Valencia could hardly wait to start his new life and see how everything would turn out.

“I was excited to start and my first day ended up being great,” Valencia said.

On the flip side, Starmer’s first day did not go as well. She got lost three times, and felt sick the entire time.

“I was a little nervous because of how big the school was and how people like to make fun of home schoolers because they think we stay home all day,” Starmer said. “That’s not the case at all. I have learned more life lessons by getting out of the house to do homework than public school could ever teach me.”

The transition from being home-schooled to attending a public school was hard for both Valencia and Starmer. They had to adjust to the changes happening in their lives.

“When I was home-schooled, I had all of the time in the world, and now I am struggling to find time for myself,” Valencia said.

With the weight of expectations to do well in every aspect of his life, Valencia became overwhelmed with the pressure.

Starmer, on the other hand, had trouble with the layout of the classrooms and the push from others around her to decide what she wanted to do after high school. Her schedule suddenly changed from lenient to strict.

“At home my schedule is amazingly flexible and I am required to have everything done by Saturday, so it’s no big deal if I miss a day,” Starmer said. “Here [at Millard West] it’s a little different.”

Eventually, Valencia and Starmer got into the flow and found things they loved about attending a public school.

“I really like the people here,” Valencia said. “The teachers are welcoming and many opportunities have opened up.”

As more and more home-schooled students transfer to public school, they get the opportunity for exposure to different teaching styles.