Underclass Skill

Sophomores earn letters for football

Tristan Gomes, Staff writer

Running onto the field at Buell Stadium and breaking that Wildcat banner was a dream for many when they were just little kids. Sitting in the student section during the games was not enough for many, and getting onto that field was a priority. For 18 sophomores that dream came true, and for some, breaking the banner was not all they did on Friday nights.

Sophomores have been playing for the varsity football team for many years at Millard West, and this year was no exception. Sophomore Kaedyn Oderman was one of those underclassmen that proved he could hang with the older guys. Oderman started on special teams and safety on defense in a few games.

“It meant a lot to me to be on varsity because growing up going to the games I always looked up to the players on the field,” Oderman said. “Now being one of those players reminds me of those days, and hopefully, those kids in the stands look up to me.”

Oderman was accompanied by sophomore Dalys Beanum, who also saw time on the field. Beanum played wide receiver and punt returner. He also led the reserve and JV teams in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. Beanum was one of the eight sophomores who started out the season on varsity while others had to wait there turn to get on that roster, coaches knew they could not keep off of the field on Friday nights.

Near the end of the season, 10 more sophomores received a jersey and got a chance to suit up. Of those 10, sophomore Joe Burton was one who played the whole reserve and JV season before getting his chance to stand on those turf sidelines under the lights.

“I think I was on varsity because of all he work I put in day in and day out during the season and especially during the off season,” Burton said. “Our class has a lot of potential and I am proud to be apart of that.”

Sophomore Nate Glantz started off the season as the third string quarterback, but quickly became the backup after proving himself in JV and sophomore games. Glantz was the back up to All-State QB Giovanni Guido, who threw for over 1,000 yards and ran for over 700. He  is trying to follow his footsteps.

“I have looked up to Gio when I showed up here freshman year,” Glantz said. “When you are behind an All-State player you obviously want to follow their path. Gio and I have become really good friends over the past season and has made me a better football player.”

The sophomore class earned many varsity football letters this past season, and with many starting seniors graduating, spots are opening up. After ending the season 9-2 and losing to Burke in the State Playoff quarterfinals, the Wildcats are trying to learn and become better from that. The sophomore class is trying to be a part of that next year. High school only lasts four years and these sophomores are trying to leave their mark.