Winter Sports Preview

photo by Katy Cowell

Jacob Janousek, Staff Writer

Winter sports are coming up and students are brimming with excitement.

I hope to see all the teams to have success this winter season.There is a lot of returning players for each team that makes reason for us to be excited.

The boys basketball team ended the season on a sore note on not making the state playoffs last season. They ended the season 15-11. A key loss for them was former student Shae Wyatt who average 18.6 ppg last season.  Senior Nebraska baseball commit Colby Gomes chose to focus baseball this year, he averaged 11.6 ppg last season. There is still a lot to look forward to this season. They have seniors Giavonni Guido, Hunter Schnuerle, and Brock Burling returning and look to make a run at the State Playoffs. Boys open up the season against Pius X.

Schnuerle expects to play a big part on the Wildcats basketball this year and feels this could be a good year.

“I feel we will have a good season,” Schnuerle said. “Most of us have been playing with each other since second grade so we know our styles.”

The girls basketball team finished 16-10 last season. They were the 5th seed in Class A and lost in the first round of the State playoffs to Lincoln Southwest 59-51. The girls have 12 returning players from last year’s team. We are excited to see senior Courtney Merryweather come back from injuries. Merryweather had a injury last year, where she tore bother her ACLs. Key returning players are senior Lauren Rongisch who averaged 9.9 ppg last season which leads the team in scoring and also junior Chaise Pfanstiel who average 9 ppg return as well. They open up the season Thursday, Nov. 30th against Pius X.

The swimming teams have a lot to be excited about this year. They have a new coach, Jamie Bowcott. The boys have many returning people and look to have some momentum from a below average finish in State. There best finish was getting second in Metros and look to regain that this season. Key returning swimmers for the boys are senior Chris Evans,senior Nick Cramer, junior Gabriel Paredes Reyes, and junior Braydon Moody.  The girls swimming also many returning people and look to have confidence after a good season last year finishing 5th in State.Key returning swimmers for girls, junior Kate McCoy, junior Payton Hall, and senior Hannah Oeltjen. There best finish last year was a Millard North Invite where they got first.

Sophomore Honnah Leo excited to see how the team will fare this year and hopes she can be a helpful part in the team.

“I hope I can become a better player this year,” Leo said. “ I hope I can contribute to the team in any way I can.”

McCoy is excited for this season, especially having a new coach.

“Our head coach, Tracy Stauffer, retired last year, so we have a new coach, Jamie Bowcott,” McCoy said. “I’m excited to see what new things he has planned for us, and I think our team this year will do great things, everyone is stepping up in practice and really giving it their all, I really think that type of work ethic will project throughout the season and at meets.”

The wrestling team has a lot of returning wrestlers and looking to have a great year.Some of those returning key wrestlers are senior Jack Huffman, junior Camden Russell, and senior Matt Sorich They had a great season last year staying consistently at the top in every meet. They finished 5th in State Duels and are looking to have a bigger and better season. They did not lose a lot of wrestlers so they will be bigger and stronger this season to have a chance at winning state.

Junior Weston Dietsch is in his third year of wrestling and is excited about the team this year.

“We have a lot of good individuals this year,” said Dietsch. “ I hope I can help the team in my weight class and help contend for state.

That is the winter sports preview. As you can see there is a lot to be excited about this season for Millard West’s winter sports teams. All of them are hoping to have a great season so make sure you go and check them out.